Ceremony Script



Processional: played by Celloist
Welcome
Father Terry:
On behalf of I welcome all of you, and am elated that you could join us for this marriage celebration. We are here today to encourage, celebrate and support the covenant these two people, beloved to us, now make. The marriage they are creating here has roots in themselves, and the love, friendship, and guidance each of us has offered them. They have asked us to be with them here today, because we are a community of loved ones. We rejoice in the ways life has led them to each other and brought them to the place where they now stand.

Intentions
Father Terry: (To the groom) , the woman who stands by your side is about to become your wife. She will look to you for comfort, for support, for understanding, for encouragement, and for protection. You must never take her for granted, and always consider her along with yourself.

Groom: , as freely as God has given me life,I join my life with yours.Wherever you go, I will go.Whatever you face, I will face.For good or ill, in happiness or sadness,Come riches or poverty, I take you as my wife.

Father Terry: , the man who stands by your side is about to become your husband. He will look to you for comfort, for support, for understanding, for encouragement, and for protection. You must never take him for granted, and always consider him along with yourself.

Bride: , as freely as God has given me life,I join my life with yours.Wherever you go, I will go.Whatever you face, I will face.For good or ill, in happiness or sadness,Come riches or poverty, I take you as my husband.

Reading 1Colossians 3:12-16
A reading from the letter of Paul to the Colossians
[12] You are the elect of God, holy and beloved, be clothed in sincere compassion, in kindness and humility, gentleness and patience.
[13] Forbearing one another; forgive each other as soon as a quarrel begins. As God forgave you; now you must do the same.
[14] Above all these things put on love, which is the bond of perfectness.
[15] And let the peace of God reign in your hearts, it is for this that you were called together as parts of one body. Always be thankful.
[16] Let the word of Christ dwell in you richly. Teach each other, and advise each other, in all wisdom. With grace in your hearts sing praise to God.
This is the word of the Lord.


Reading 2
Adapted from "Union" by Robert Fulghum

You have known each other for ten years, through the first glance of acquaintance to this moment of commitment. At some point, you decided to marry. From that moment of yes to this moment of Yes, indeed, you have been making promises and agreements in an informal way. All those conversations that were held riding in a car or over a meal or during long walks - all those sentences that began with “When we’re married” and continued with “I will and you will and we will”- those late night talks that included “someday” and “somehow” and “maybe”- and all those promises that are unspoken matters of the heart. All these common things, and more, are the real process of a wedding.

The symbolic vows that you are about to make are a way of saying to one another, “ You know all those things we’ve promised and hoped and dreamed- well, I meant it all, every word.” Look at one another – remember this moment in time. Before this moment you have been many things to one another -acquaintance, friend, companion, lover, dancing partner, and even teacher, for you have learned much from one another during these years. Now you shall say a few words that take you across a threshold of life, and things will never quite be the same between you. For after these vows, you shall say to the world, this- is my husband, this- is my wife.

Prayer
Father Terry:
Moment of SilenceFather Terry: Please spend a few moments in silence, to listen to yourself, to the forest, and to appreciate your own blessings of love and family.

Marriage Vows
Father Terry: Since it is your intention to marry, join your right hands and declare your consent. Do you take to be your lawful wedded wife to have and to hold, from this day forward, for better or for worse, for richer or for poorer, in sickness and in health, as long as you both shall live.

Groom: I Do.

Father Terry: Do you take to be your lawful wedded husband, to have and to hold, from this day forward, for better or for worse, for richer or for poorer, in sickness and in health, as long as you both shall live.

Bride: I Do.

Exchange of Rings
Father Terry: The wedding ring is a symbol of unity, a circle unbroken, without beginning or end. And today give and receive these rings as confirmations of their vows to join their lives, to work at all times to create a life that is whole and unbroken, and to love each other without end. May the Lord bless these rings which you give to each other as the sign of your love and fidelity. (To the groom) , take this ring and place it on finger, and state your pledge to her, repeating after me:

“With this ring I thee wed.
I offer you my hand, and my heart as I know they will be safe with you.
All that I am I give to you and all that I have I share with you.”(To the bride) , take this ring and place it on finger, and state your pledge to him, repeating after me:

“With this ring I thee wed.
I offer you my hand, and my heart as I know they will be safe with you.
All that I am I give to you and all that I have I share with you.”

Song
Simple Gifts

Blessing
Father Terry:
Closing
Father Terry: , as a collection of words, this ceremony would count for little, were it not for the love and commitment you here pledge to one another. Your vows may have been spoken in minutes, but your promises to each other will last a lifetime.Those who are joined by this sacred covenant, let no one put asunder. As have pledged themselves to meet sorrow and joy as one family before this community of friends, I now pronounce them husband and wife. You may kiss your bride.
Recessional

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

I found this page while searching for ideas on how to script my own upcoming wedding. We are not a religious couple, therefore I have not looked at a single religious ceremony for inspiration, but something compelled me to read on. This is beautiful. Absolutely, wonderfully beautiful. There are no stale words, no sermons, no melodramatic claims that your long term relationship would magically change on the day of your vows...it is just understated enough to be poignant. I would never steal something so obviously designed for only two people, but I hope you don't mind that I plan to use your script to inspire me in writing ours. Blessings to you. A & C.

Anonymous said...

I have been searching the internet for a script that fit my fiance and I. Nothing seemed to fit, we did not want something overly religious but something more about our promise to each other. I had tears in my eyes as I read this script. It is everything that marriage is all about and absolutely beautiful, Thank you for sharing this with the world. I am using it as insperaton for my ceremony!
Emily and Gregg

Anonymous said...

So grateful for this....I am a social worker and an interfaith minister in an outpatient Oncology unit. Yesterday one of our patients on the in pateint unit, who was to be married one month from now asksed if there was any way they could get married tomorrow becasue his health is declining. So I found your script which is perfect, made a few changes and tomorrow at 11:00 in the cancer ward we will celebrate there wedding!! Wishing you great joy and blessings in your life!
Jean Marie

Anonymous said...

Thank you so much for posting this. It is so beautiful, and it was extremely helpful for planning our ceremony!

bashafierce said...

its very inspiring..the lines adapted from "union" by robert fulghum made me smile.i would like to borrow it...thanks.

Anonymous said...

Your script is beautiful! I was having a hard time coming up with a script for my own wedding ceremony, but yours gave me many great ideas. Thank you.

Anonymous said...

Thank you very much, this page was so helpful. We are not a religious couple and this wording was a great template for our ceremony.

Anonymous said...

Will most likely be using this for our ceremony-with some slight adjustments. this is pretty perfect!

thank you!

 
eXTReMe Tracker